The first record of Shelley F.C. is around 1903-04 when they are recorded as playing
in the Huddersfield District League which itself was founded in 1898-99. This was
prior to Huddersfield Town who started playing in 1908 and joined the Football
League in 1910-11.
Shelley F.C. has its headquarters and facilities at the Shelley Sports & Social Club.
After deciding that the Westerley Lane ground, home to the team since 1962, was no longer suitable the club looked for an alternative for the 2005-06 season. Different locations were looked at before the club settled on playing at Skelmanthorpe before again moving to Storthes Hall and joining the West Yorkshire Association League.
After winning Division Two in 2011-12 the Club begin the 2012 -13 season in Division 1 of the West Yorkshire League.