Shelley Church was built in 1868 - so Shelley became a Parish and a red-letter day in our village life.
The Parish was formed from the Parish of Kirkburton; the ‘township’ was governed by a local Board of Health of 9 members.
The area of the Parish is 1.538 acres - population 1,689 at this time.
In the Summer of 1868 when Shelley Church was built, the peal of bells were installed in the Church tower - six of time.
On August 31st 1868 they were carted from Shepley Railway Station by decorated horses and a band. J. Taylors of Loughborough were the makers of the bells. The tenor bell weighs 11cwt., the 5th bell weighs 8cwt.,the 4th bell weighs 7cwt., 3rd bell 6cwt and the 2nd bell weighs 6cwt. The 1st bell weighs 5 cwt.
The tenor bell is inscribed Emmanuel Church - Shelley consecrated Sept 4th 1868.
Church Light and Bells - By Nancy Ryden